Mission & Values
The mission of the West Virginia University School of Public Health is to improve the health of West Virginians through innovation and leadership in education, research and service. We achieve this by:
- Implementing educational programs that produce highly qualified practitioners, educators, and researchers
- Promoting interdisciplinary research to understand and solve complex health problems with local impact and global significance
- Engaging communities, businesses and government partners in accomplishing our shared mission
The vision of the School of Public Health is to be internationally recognized for demonstrating how academic public health can transform lives.
The School of Public Health is guided by the following values:
- Community Engagement: we are proud of the communities we serve, and recognize the importance of bidirectional participatory activities.
- Collaboration: we collaborate with partners who join us in improving the public’s health.
- Equity: we promote equity and social justice in defining health and eliminating health disparities.
- Integrity: we adhere to the highest ethical standards of honesty and fairness and we recognize that integrity and ethical behavior are essential elements of our professions.
- Respect: we respect diverse points of view and the cultural heritage and traditions of all people.
- Accountability: we hold ourselves accountable to one another, and to the many stakeholders who support the School of Public Health.